Dan Smith’s Candies originally started as an ice cream company in 1946 on the porch of Dan Smith’s home in Brookville, Pennsylvania.
Six years later in 1952, as the business began to grow, Dan built a factory and retail store at One Mabon Street.
One year later in 1953, encouraged by the success of the ice cream business, Dan decided to branch out into making candy along with ice
cream. One of the first candies made were coconut and peanut clusters.
As the candy business began to grow more space was needed, so in 1964 Dan purchased Eberlines Garage at 77 Barnett Street which consisted
of 5,000 square feet. After renovating the building he moved the candy manufacturing part of the business to this new facility, thus
separating the ice cream and candy business. Also, at this location he placed a 500 square foot store. An exact date is not known,
but it was approximately around this time that the fundraising part of the business was started. Fundraisers were created especially
for the Christmas and Easter seasons.
In 1973 it was decided to sell the ice cream part of the company in order to devote full attention to the candy making and fundraising part of the business.
In 1975 Dan hired his nephew Roy Darrin. After 9 years of training Roy purchased the business. After 14 years of running
the business Roy sold the business to his sister Lennea Darrin and her partner Frank Decker who has carried on the recipes,
the quality, and the traditions of Dan Smith’s Candies.
55 years and still a family owned candy company. (1953 – 2008)